Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 6 tbsp mascarpone
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 300g penne
- 70g mature cheddar, grated
- 50g grated mozzarella
- 1⁄2 small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
• Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the onion gently for 10-12 mins. Add the garlic and chilli flakes and cook for 1 min. Tip in the tomatoes and sugar and season to taste. Simmer uncovered for 20 mins or until thickened, then stir through the mascarpone.
• Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan. Season the chicken and fry for 5-7 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.
• Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Cook the penne following pack instructions. Drain and toss with the remaining oil. Tip the pasta into a medium sized ovenproof dish. Stir in the chicken and pour over the sauce. Top with the cheddar, mozzarella and parsley. Bake for 20 mins or until golden brown and bubbling.
Recipe by Esther Clark